Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Peaked Mountain



Monday, a beautiful day after days of wet and blankets of clouds, I drove up to Thirteenth Lake to hike to Peaked Mountain in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness. The lake was quiet and the loon pair was out, visible from my binoculars. Halfway or so down the lake, I turned away from the shore to take the trail that follows Peaked Mountain Brook to Peaked Mountain Pond and its mountain. I made a mental note that the folks I guide will love following this majestic cascade of water that rushes downhill toward Thirteenth Lake.

The trail is a steady yet gradual uphill climb that eventually leads to a string of three beautiful beaver meadows, each of them unique. If I had time and a client fascinated by beavers, I'd suggest that we put our packs down and pause by the beaver dam while we sit still and wait for some beaver activity. On the East Branch of the Sacandaga late last week, my time was rewarded with sights of a beaver having a jolly time swimming near his lodge. Well, maybe he was working, but it looked to me as though he was just paddling around, enjoying the sunny day.


When I reached the shore of Peaked Mountain Pond, I found a rock to sit on. I was completely alone in this wilderness. For acres and acres around me there was not another single human. For me, there's nothing that can compare with the experience of sitting still, listening, watching, and reflecting on the moment in a pristine setting.

I moved on to take the steep trail up the mountain, which came as a shock after the gradual incline I'd been hiking. But the views were worth it. Sensational views of the High Peaks to the North and mountains to the west.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home