Thursday, December 14, 2006

Snowshoeing in the Adirondacks

I was perplexed by an article I read in the New York Times today about snowshoeing. According to surveys and statistics, snowshoeing is a sport that appeals primarily to older people. That hasn't been my experience. From what I've seen, snowshoeing is a sport enjoyed by people of all age groups, including very young children.


As far as wilderness winter explorations are concerned, snowshoes are the easiest and most versatile mode of foot transportation when the snow is more than six inches deep. Adirondack trails are often rife with fallen trees, and snowshoeing over them is so much easier than skiing around them.

Don't get me wrong, I love backcountry skiing; yet in my experience it's necessary to scout a trail immediately before planning a trip to make sure the conditions will support skiing. With snowshoes, there's a need to know a trail, but whatever the conditions throw at you, you're okay with snowshoes. And for those with safety concerns, snowshoes have skis beat for safety hands down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home