Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Winter Wilderness Hiking--Soup's On!



Getting in Shape for Wilderness Snowshoeing?

With nighttime temperatures in the teens and daytimes in the low to mid-twenties, the Siamese Ponds Wilderness trails are frozen and ready for winter hiking. Hooray!

Sophie (my Golden scout) and I were out all morning checking on trails. A light snow was falling in the sunshine, an Adirondack weather condition that is so beautiful. Of course, I'm hoping for a heavy snowfall at this point, so I can lead people into the wilderness on snowshoes and cross-country skis.

And though I'm a snow fanatic, I have to admit there's nothing like the ease of winter hiking. The hunters are gone, the snowmobilers are out of commission, and I have the wilderness to myself. What could be better than that?

If you're a downhill skier as I am, you'll be glad to know that Gore Mountain has been making snow 24 hours a day since Sunday, and winter sports in the region are shaping up. So, come on up before the crowds arrive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home