Sunday, September 03, 2006

Fall--The Favorite Season


Of all the seasons, most adults living year-round in the Adirondacks name autumn as their favorite. "No bugs," usually begins their lists of reasons, followed by beautiful foliage, clear skies, and cool temperatures. And, as many have told me, fall really begins with the Labor Day Weekend, not September 20-23, the usual days of the autumnal equinox. (This year it falls on Saturday, the 23rd.)

Of all natural phenomenon, the green leaves changing to brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows, is the one that has most captivated my imagination throughout my lifetime. I study and observe every aspect of the change, and this year I'll share them with you in this blog.

Yet I'll go even a step further than that as I report all this fall on the troubling issues facing the trees in the Northeast, and, in particular, the Northern forests. And I'll pinpoint what's being done and not being done to save trees, and what each of us can do to make a difference.

September Events: Women's Hiking in the Gore Mountain Region
I. Mountain Hiking (Tuesdays Sept. 12, 19, 26) 8:30-2:00pm (Click on the link)
II. Nature Hiking (Wednesdays Sept. 13, 20, 27) 9:00-1:00pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home