Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tragedy--Adirondack Style

After witnessing the destruction of a hillside on our mountain road, I've been as glum as can be. Several days later, the event has filtered through my skin and has permeated every cell in my body. I'm in mourning for what was once a wild, beautiful hill.

A man, who I suppose will be our neighbor, bought this hill. And unlike everyone else who lives up here and takes pains to preserve the land, he took enormous excavating equipment and literally tore apart a hillside to build a long and winding road and a huge mansion lot. The road not only meanders through the woods to his house, it also cuts up the hill to the very edge of a ledge that offers a magnificent view of Eleventh Mountain and Gore Mountain, and in the winter, the High Peaks. Up on that wild hill are rare wildflowers, ferns, and mosses, and it is home to thrushes whose populations are in decline. Deer, coyotes, bobcat, bears, and porcupines frequent this hill.

Today I've discovered that I am as mad as hell, and yes, I am going to do something about it. I can do nothing about this hill because it's private land, and there are ignorant people coming to the Gore Mountain region who care nothing for the Adirondack wilderness or its wildlife and who will do just about anything to build the perfect vacation retreat.

But I am going to work with other people to protect this land. Here are the organizations I belong to, and the ones I am joining.
The Adirondack Mountain Club

Residents' Committee to Protect the Adirondacks

The Nature Conservancy

The Association for the Protection of the Adirondacks

The Adirondack Council

Am I missing any? Please comment if I haven't listed one that you know.
I regret that I can't make links of the other organizations. Until I fix this (I have to cook dinner), please google the names and you'll get to their sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home