Saturday, August 05, 2006

Bushwhack!


Eleventh Mountain as seen from my mountain road

Adirondack Safaris offers bushwhacks up the west shoulder of Eleventh Mountain. It's a fun climb, especially for young people, who enjoy the chance to test their mettle on the steeps and select their own best way to the top. But the views from up there are nigh onto non-existent because of all the tree cover. I've got to look back at my notes: Barbara McMartin has described bushwhacks up the east slope. The only problem is, the last time she was on the trail was well over a decade ago. There is no written record of what a bushwhack up the east side is like today. There's only one way to find out, and that is to try it. I'll put it on my list.

Some readers may wonder, why bushwhack at all?

On the surface, I admit, bushwhacking seems crazy. Bushwhacks are more challenging than trail hikes and, in some respects, are hard work. But, on the other hand, mountains with no trails are rarely visited by people. As a result, wildlife is much more plentiful and the hiker can truly meld into the wilderness and become a part of it.

I'm heading over to Huckleberry Mountain early next week, to scout out a bushwhack for some clients. The view from the ledges at the summit is incredible. Huckleberry also has many caves, and it's famous for its bears. But, it's funny, although everyone says there are bears there, no one I know has ever seen one.

Oh, and a word of caution: Don't try this unless you're with someone who's competent with map and compass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home