Sunday, August 13, 2006

Mountain Season


Gore Mountain, from the summit of Crane

Saturday, with clear skies and temperatures in the high 60s, was a perfect day to climb a mountain. I chose Crane, partly because of its proximity to home, and partly because there were a few new trails I wanted to sample there.

I was astonished at how much easier it is to climb in cool weather with low humidity--a world of difference. And, best of all, no bugs! I could sing that tune from the mountaintops. The views were spectacular all the way up on the less traveled trail.

The pond, two-thirds of the way to the summit, was a restful oasis before tackling the final leg of the ascent. Although it's a longer route, I appreciated climbing under the hemlocks, where I was protected from the sun. All in all, I loved every minute of the climb. I took the steepest, shortest route down, which is just fine. Once I've been hanging out on the summit, the last thing I want is a long return to the car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home