Friday, June 16, 2006

Crane Mountain

Yesterday I hiked up Crane Mountain to capture perhaps my last chance to see all the pink lady's slippers that grace the trails there. I chose the long route up, which is less steep and which provides the best views apart from the summit. I like it because fewer people choose it and there's so many more birds, wildflowers, and other nature to see.

I was extremely surprised by how poorly marked the long route is right now. On the steeps, where the trail is mostly rock outcroppings, the lack of markers is definitely a hazard. Maybe the rangers haven't had time to replace markers that have disappeared over the winter. But to people who don't know the mountain and don't have a topographical map, soloing would be pretty frustrating and dangerous. When I started Adirondack Safaris, I thought that I wouldn't guide my clients up Crane Mountain because it's so heavily traveled and has a reputation for being well marked. After yesterday's climb, I am putting the Crane Mountain long route back on my roster of offerings. It's beautiful and the views all round are spectacular. And, of course, there's the added delight of Crane Mountain Pond near the top. It's a fun, challenging climb for older children and teens, not too difficult for most adults in good health, and the opportunities to experience the natural world abound.

When I neared the summit, I startled a big buck that went crashing off into the woods. I was amazed to see one there because vegetation is much more sparse and not really suitable to feed an animal with as voracious an appetite as he undoubtedly has.

I'll get a photo up of Crane as soon as there's a clear sky!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home