Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Searching for Otters

Upcoming Safaris:
Easy Mountain Snowshoeing Sun. Feb. 18

February Vacation Week: Family Nature Hikes
"How do Adirondack Animals Survive the Winter?"

Offered on 3 separate days:
Wed. Feb 21, Fri. Feb. 23, Sat. Feb. 24


The day that Sophie and I skiied on Cod Pond (Well, I skied and Sophie ran), we searched for otter tracks. Last summer while paddling all over the pond I observed otter scat on some of the largest boulders dotting the shoreline. Try as we might, though, we didn't see any tracks or other evidence of otters. Although there is open water nearby, they may have moved to another body of water for the winter.

The Snowshoe & Yoga Escape is this Saturday, February 10. Susanne Murtha (owner of Yoga in the Adirondacks) and I have at least eight people signed up with room for a few more. After a morning of yoga and a catered lunch, we'll snowshoe along the East Branch of the Sacandaga River, which is a perfect winter habitat for river otters. I'll keep my eyes out for tracks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home