Thursday, June 07, 2007

Off to the Hamilton County Birding Festival!

Mary Ellen Blakey and I are ready for the Hamilton County Birding Festival. If you're in the neighborhood this weekend, go to the website, and sign up for one of the trips. Mary Ellen and I have scouted all our trails, made note of all the obstacles, and we've rehearsed all the ways we'll take care of our birders when we lead them in to some of the choicest birdwatching spots in the southern region of Hamilton County. I'm so psyched!

Our Schedule:
Friday afternoon--Pine Orchard 5-mile trip (Bad thunderstorms are forecast for mid-afternoon. We'll be keeping an eye on the sky.)

Saturday morning 3:45 am Mary Ellen and I awaken. I think we're going to be setting lots of alarm clocks to make sure we get out of bed. Coffee, breakfast, then pile in the car to head to Pillsbury Mountain (elevation 3500+ feet). 5 am: We guide our birders up the mountain to the boreal forest (above 2800 feet). I'm hoping I'll see some boreal chickadees, gray jays, Bicknell's thrush, and why not a spruce grouse? Way cool.

Sat. 12 noon--Back in the car. Shove sandwich into mouth. Drive to our driving birdwatching safari on the ...woops! Mary Ellen knows the name of the road. One pm. We'll drive nineteen miles, stopping at various points to see what we hear and see.
6pm. I drive an hour to get home, asking Ken to meet me at The Black Mountain for dinner. Then home. Quickly throw Buzz Off Shirts into washing machine for Sunday's trek.

Sun. 6 am Wake up, and get my body in the car by 7:15 to drive the 75 minutes west to meet Mary Ellen and a group of eight for the hike in to G Lake. Not a long hike, but this is the place where the bugs will be ready to devour us. Lots of super No-Deet bug stuff for our clients.

Then at 1 pm, I will be on my way home to write about all our experiences. And maybe take a nap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home