Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Wilderness Hike to Sleeping Beauty's Castle


Friday marked my second hiking excursion to Foxlair, the site of the ruins of an extravagant estate of the early twentieth century. I couldn't help feeling like the prince in the fairy tale as I climbed over dozens of fallen trees and bumbled my way through vines and saplings along an overgrown trail that leads to Richard Hudnut's former wonderland in the old Oregon Valley along the Sacandaga River. Although there is a guidebook or two from the early 1990s that describes the route, I found the instructions to be of little use because nothing is marked, the written directions are maddeningly vague, and a forest is now flourishing on the site. What an adventure then--by trial and error to search and search for the ruins.

On my latest trip I concentrated on picking my way through the debris and puzzling over what remains--a battered stone foundation, stone stairways leading to the river, pipe fittings, and iron gates. I've been uncovering the history of Richard Hudnut and Foxlair at home in several books and I long to hunt down the descendents of some of the people who worked there.

All in all, a hiking adventure to Foxlair is perfect for people who love a hands-on approach to uncovering Adirondack history. It's beautiful country and because of its proximity to the Sacandaga River, is ideal for birdwatching (especially warblers), hunting for wildflowers and butterflies. A visit to an active beaver lodge is also close by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home