Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hiking up Gore Mountain

The Schaefer Trail is the hiking trail that leads to the summit of Gore Mountain (elevation 3,600 ft.). Today I signed in at the register for the Schaefer but as I climbed I managed to overshoot the spot where the trail crosses a Gore Mountain ski trail. I ended up by the old North Creek Reservoir, an intriguing spot, but not where I wanted to be.

I'm not familiar with the Schaefer Trail because I've been focusing all my explorations to true wilderness trails, and the Schaefer, despite its beauty, many attractions, and wild places, leads up a developed skiing mountain that is a far cry from wilderness.

Even so, I was happy to be climbing a dry trail. And I loved finding a meadow crowded with blooming milkweed. I stayed for quite a while and watched the butterflies, bees, dragonflies, and a ruby-throated hummingbird feed themselves. The entire climb up is lush with wildflowers. When the trail crosses Roaring Brook, there is a rushing waterfall that's cooling after a hot climb.

So I think, maybe I should add a Gore Mountain adventure to my list of safaris. After all, I do believe that only a few (those with AMC guides) will figure out how to stay on the Schaefer Trail and make it to the summit.

I'm going back tomorrow, this time with said guidebook and with the card in the digital camera (not sitting at home as I did today) and see how the rest of the trail is.

Photos tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home