Saturday, July 01, 2006

Testing the Trails

I spent most of Friday going from trail to trail to test conditions after all the rain we've had. The notoriously wet ones I didn't bother to venture to, but the rest I checked out. In the early morning, Sophie and I tested the full length of the Moss Ridge and Swamp Trail--most of it is in terrific condition but for one muddy stream crossing. I tooks some photos, but early morning pics of woodsy trails do not come out well, though I did catch this one of Sophie carrying a birch stick.

Milkweed is on the verge of flowering, and the butterflies are hanging around in anxious anticipation. When all the milkweed blooms, I'll be out with a butterfly net and my field guide, getting up close and personal with them for a few brief moments before letting them go back to their business. This coming week is prime time for butterfly lovers. I just received a small shipment of nets for my clients.

At Cod Pond, I once again photographed some White Admiral--Red Spotted Purple hybrids. I guess there must be something nutritious about the new growth on this plant; I just hope they can hang on until the milkweed blooms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home