Monday, June 19, 2006

A Chance Encounter with Wildlife--Wowee!

Mike, my friend and New York State Licensed Guide, were hiking today in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness. As we approached a pond, I pointed out the dozens and dozens of dragonflies that love to congregate on a huge rock that lies in the sun. Just as I was doing so, Mike shouted, "What's that? Why, it's a Moose!" Even though my camera was hanging around my neck, my fingers fumbled to catch some shots as I watched said juvenile moose lumber out of the reeds toward the woods. Yet I managed to snap five pictures with a very slow digital camera. I zoomed in as far as I was able, and still the moose appears small in all the photos. Of course, he or she wasn't full-grown, probably only about two years old with mere buds where antlers will be one day. Still!!! My first sighting of a moose in the Adirondacks. A sterling moment.



The rest of the morning Mike and I discussed our plans to carry our boats in early Wednesday morning, to further explore the pond and its tributaries, and, of course, to try to observe the moose. The only thing that has me worried is the carry. It's a mile and it's uphill. Ugh! I'm a veteran all-out hiker and climber, but a quiet paddler with no fondness for portage. But Mike has convinced me we must, after I persuaded him he should cancel his doctor's appointment. Wednesday is the only dry weather day this week, and we will spend all of it--out there. Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home