Saturday, June 24, 2006

Leaves of Three--What Can It Be?



Now I know everyone is going to shout, "Poison Ivy!" I thought so too, until I looked at the plant very closely. Notice the shapes of the leaves, and how they vary one from the other. I have seen this identical plant in a number of places over the past two weeks. Unlike poison ivy, it isn't vine-like, nor does it grow in clusters. It sits in the woods by itself, though ten feet away I might find another. Hmmm... I wonder.

Of course, the true test would be to, well, touch it. But I, being severely allergic to poison ivy, cannot make myself stretch my hand out. "Leaves of three, leave them be." You betcha. So here I am, puzzled. I need to consult an expert. I think I'll e-mail Evelyn Greene, the best Adirondack naturalist I know. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home