Sunday, March 04, 2007

It's Back! The Snowshoe & Yoga Escape Package
Saturday, March 10 10-5pm $55

Winter Wilderness Birding
Wednesday, March 14 10-2pm $20


Personalized Safaris Any Day!

I headed out on snowshoes this morning and went crazy over the clouds. There was intermittent sunshine, snow flurries, and snow showers. Low, low clouds kept wafting over in an irregular pattern, moving very rapidly, and changing the landscape dramatically from minute to minute. I love it when we have lake-effect snow showers. It's amazing to me that they originate as far west and north as the Great Lakes and still manage to drop snow here in the southeastern Adirondacks.

Looking at Gore Mountain Enveloped in Lake-Effect Snow

When I was snowshoeing with a client last weekend in the northernmost Siamese Ponds Wilderness region, we met some people who said that breaking trail in deep snow on snowshoes consumes 1,000 calories an hour. At first I was dubious, and then I realized that when I'm breaking trail, the exertion makes me stop from time to time to catch my breath. Consequently, there are pauses, and in an hour I'm not continuously breaking trail. Given this fact, and the endurance it takes to break trail at all in deep snow, I'll bet it may be possible that the effort could burn 1,000 calories in an hour, if one could do it without stopping, which no one I know can. Still, if you do it, you can have that extra scoop of ice cream with fudge sauce!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home