Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Off to Hunt for a Paint Mine

That was my goal yesterday when I once again told myself that this excellent hiking weather (less humidity and high seventies) cannot last. I hiked into the valley between Crane and Huckleberry Mountains to search for the ruins of a nineteenth-century paint mine.

I know "paint mine" sounds strange, but that's the name of this woodsy historical landmark. The rock and soil in parts of this area contain a red pigment that was once used to cover farm buildings. The mine was quite an establishment in its time, and its paint, "Johnsburg Red," was known far and wide.

Crane Mountain, through the trees

As I hiked along en route, I was comforted by the silent, massive presence of Crane to the north. Once again plagued with an old guidebook that desperately needs a revised edition, I overshot the spot by nearly a mile. The forest is camouflaging the old stones and buildings very well. On my way back, I walked more slowly and scrutinized every tree and bit of woods. Persistence paid off, and I must say I'm glad, because I wasn't going home until I found it. Ruins of stone foundations and buildings, a paint pit, and a magnificent stone chimney were there for inspection.

A perfect hike for history enthusiasts--my next job is to talk with the Johnsburg historian and find out more. Yet history is not the only attraction on this hike. Birds common to boreal forests are everywhere as well as enormous granite rocks, some as tall as a 2- to 3-story building. Great fun for children who love to climb!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi- I once camped under that huge boulder and explored the paint mines, etc. Great location. I understand this is now private property. Do you know if camping is allowed now and who owns it to get approval?

Thanks!

Mike
kilroy7@earthlink.net

Monday, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home